Thursday, November 20, 2014

Why I Write About Indies


I was going to do another Indie game preview today, but I thought I'd talk about something else instead. I talked about yesterday why I love Nintendo. Today, I thought I'd talk about why I'm writing about Indies instead of just Nintendo games all the time.

I don't get paid to write any of these blog entries. I might seem like maybe I do because all of my preview articles are so positive. I never write about any Indie games here I don't like. So why do I do it?

First of all, I think its great that Indie companies are supporting Wii U when a lot of the bigger AAA companies have abandoned Nintendo. I think they deserve someone spotlighting their games. They support us Nintendo fans, we should support them.

Second, I think there's enough negatively in the Nintendo community. Nintendo fans & critics alike seem to always be talking about stuff THEY DON'T like. Nintendo is doing this wrong, Nintendo is doing that wrong or third parties suck or man, look at that terrible Indie game on the Eshop. I'm tired of it. I want to write about games I'm excited about or interested in. I want to be positive and provide a positive place to show off Indies that look good. And there are a lot of Indie games coming that look incredible. There is more GOOD coming then BAD. We should always keep that in mind.

I'm not saying its wrong to criticize things. Look at my reviews at Shigeru News. I've given some Indies some pretty bad scores. I will continue to be honest in my reviews about what I like and don't like. But on this blog, I want to keep things positive because, as a Nintendo fan, its nice to have a place that focuses on the positive more than the negative. (an aside: I'm not saying I'll never have a rant here. I might. I'm just saying I want the previews to be positive).

This is not a blog to advertise for Indies. Though, if thats a side effect for good games, I'm ok with that. I write about Indies because I like indies A LOT. I'm happy to talk about these wonderful people who are supporting my favorite systems.

Thats why I write about Indies.

And now I want to put out a call. IF you are Indie and you have a game coming to the Wii U or 3DS and you want me to spotlight the Indie here, then send me an e-mail at df2506@yahoo.com. I can't promise you I'll talk about your game. I'm looking for games that are interesting visually and gameplay wise. What makes your game unique? Heck, even if you're not an indie and you just know about a cool game I haven't talked about yet, send me an e-mail. I'll look into it.

I want to write about more Indies. I search high and low for 3DS and Wii U indies to write about. It would be cool to have a little help.

I also review games here and at Shigeru News. So if anyone wants me to review their game, please e-mail me.

I'll be back tomorrow with a preview of 3DS game Cube Creator!

No comments:

Post a Comment