Tuesday, November 18, 2014

The Xbox Years


There is something I forget to mention in yesterday's blog entry...

Before I owned a PS3, I had an Xbox and an Xbox 360.

I remember the first time I was interested in the Xbox. I was reading an issue of Game Informer and they had a big article about Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

Now, I love Star Wars. And I also love rpgs. KOTR (as I'll call it from now on) looked great. At the time, though, we didn't have the money to buy an Xbox. Instead, my dad rented an Xbox and KOTR. I loved it. What did I love about it? KOTR had a great story, a cool battle system, excellent graphics, and lots of places to explore. It was (and still is) the best Star Wars game. I beat it when I was renting it but when we had the money to get an Xbox, I still wanted to buy the game. I had so much fun with it. I played the second KOTOR too and liked it. Though, it wasn't as good as the first game.

Another big standout for me was Oddworld Stranger's Wrath. I loved the old west setting and the unique main character. The game was pretty short overall but man, what a fantastic game (I'm still hoping it'll make its way to the Wii U).

There's one more original Xbox game that I'd like to mention and that game is Psychonauts. Double Fine's mind-bending platformer was so great. It was strange, weird, and incredibly fun. One of my favorite original Xbox games for sure.

I also played Halo and liked it. There are other games but I can't remember them. And like I said, I also owned an Xbox 360.

I was tempted to get a PS3 but it was too high at the time. The 360 also seemed like the better choice. I got Halo 3 right away. I choose it over Bioshock. I learned later that I should've went with Bioshock. Don't get me wrong, Halo 3 was good but Bioshock, oh man, Bioshock was amazing.

I finally played a demo of Bioshock. I loved it so much that I traded in some games the very day I finished the demo and bought the full game. I still think the first Bioshock is a masterpiece from beginning to end. Excellent gameplay, jaw dropping graphics, and above-all, a fantastic story! " Will you kindly kill Ryan? " Whew.

The only other game that really sticks out for me 360 wise is Burnout Paradise. I loved the Burnout games. I've never been too great at regular racing games. But games like Burnout (and Mario Kart) are definitely games I like a lot. They are all about the fun.

Overall, I enjoyed my time when the orignal Xbox and the 360. But I ended up going back to Sony when I saw how amazing Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted looked on the PS3.

Tomorrow, I'll be back to tell you why I think the 3DS and the Wii U are the best systems out now. Why do I think they are better than Sony & Microsoft systems?! You'll find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment