Thursday, November 6, 2014

My Direct Impressions


Yesterday, Nintendo had a Nintendo Direct focused on 3DS and Wii U tittles. Today I'll have give you my opinions on their announcements.
------------------------------------------

I'm both happy and unhappy with yesterday's Nintendo Direct.

Let me get the unhappiness out of the way first. I don't like to focus on what I'm unhappy with too much, as people who read this blog regularly know I mostly focus on games I can't wait to play.

My unhappiness comes from the 3DS announcements. I was really hoping that Nintendo would take this time to focus on 3DS a bit and announce a few new titles for next year. Instead, they announced ONE new title and showed Codename: Steam (announced at E3) again. This was really disappointing to me. I felt like this was the time for 3DS to finally shine again. I guess Nintendo didn't feel the same way.

The new 3DS title announced was Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D, a remake of the 64 Zelda title. Majora's Mask is probably my least favorite Zelda game. I know a lot of people want the game remade but I was not one of them. I was really hoping that they'd never do it and focus on NEW Zelda titles instead (I loved A Link Between Worlds). So the announcement of MM was super disappointing to me.

As for Codename: Steam, I had mixed feelings about it at E3. The new footage looks better but I'm still not sure if Steam would be a game I'd want to play. I hope Nintendo releases a demo of it before it comes out so I can see if its a good game or not.

Overall, the 3DS part of the Direct was so short and just awful to me. I hope that Nintendo will have a Direct early next year where 3DS will be the ONLY focus. I want next year to be the year of 3DS and Wii U.

That all said, let me focus now on what I loved about the Nintendo Direct.

I love everything they showed for the Wii U. The games coming for the Wii U look amazing.

Captain Toad looks better all the time. Smash Bros. Wii U looks wonderful and I'm really amazed Duck Hunt will be coming to the Wii U Virtual Console.

Ambiios look fantastic and I wish I had more money so that I could just buy them all. I will try to get the Villager Amiibo sometime anyway.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse looks fun. It'll be coming in February. Its nice that at least one game got a date out of this Direct.

Splatoon is looking a lot better than it did at E3. I know everybody was so very impressed with the game at E3. I thought it looked alright but really not much was shown about it there. Now with this Direct, we know that the game will have Online multiplayer and a single player campaign. Pretty awesome.

My favorite moment of the entire Direct though was Xenoblade X. It looks so amazing! The graphics are jaw dropping and the new areas shown in the trailer look like they'll be fun to explore. I really want this game. Hope I can get it!

The Indie games section of the Direct was very short but interesting. I love Indies, as this blog should prove. I'm glad Nintendo took the time to focus on them.

And finally, I love the surprise of TWO demos coming out yesterday. The Pikmin 3 demo was GREAT. The Sonic Boom demo for 3DS was fun too.

I'd say, overall, the Direct was fantastic for Wii U and not so great for the 3DS. I'm hoping next time we'll see a bigger focus on my favorite Nintendo portable system. Still, its very nice to see so many fantastic Wii U games are on the way!

-------------------------------------

And there's my impressions of the Nintendo Direct. Sorry the post was so long today. Hope you enjoyed reading it.

I will be back tomorrow with my Pikmin 3 Demo Impressions. Then I'll be talking about Indies on the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment