Monday, November 17, 2014

I never owned a Nintendo 64


When I was a kid, my dad bought us an NES. Then, when the SNES came out, we bought that too (still have it in fact). So when Nintendo announced the Nintendo 64, we knew we had to have it.

A friend of my dads, though, told us that there was a better system out. He wanted us to come over to his house and see it. So we did.

This was the first time I ever saw the Playstation 1.I don't think I knew much, if anything, about it. I know I hadn't seen a commercial. Maybe I'd heard about it in passing. I can't remember. In any case, my dads friend showed off several games for the system. We saw Tomb Raider, the first Resident Evil, Tekken, and a game called D. We were not impressed at all by Tomb Raider. It just didn't look good to us. Resident Evil, however, looked amazing. It started with a Live Action sequence and then went into some very impressive 3D gameplay. Tekken looked excellent too and so did D.

We knew then that we had to have a Playstation. And since we didn't have a lot of money, we had to make a decision. It was hard for us, being Nintendo fans, but....we went with Sony. I owned a few games for the PS1 and still have most of them. I become a huge fan of the Final Fantasy games, I enjoyed Resident Evil, Silent Hill, and many more of the cool games the Playstation had. I didn't pay attention to Nintendo much.

I did see a Nintendo 64 at Walmart a couple of times. I got to play Ocarina of Time a little and Majora's Mask too. I played Star Fox 64 at a Blockbuster Video Store. I got to borrow the system much later from an Aunt. I played Super Mario 64 and Diddy Kong Racing. I did, of course, play a few more 64 games when they were released on the Wii. And thats pretty much my association with the 64.

Do I regret not owning a 64? No, not really. I love Nintendo, but, at the time, the Playstation 1 was a lot better than the 64. I loved the PS1. I was a big fan of the PS2 also. I did love the Gamecube and I look back and I think about how some of the games were better then some on the PS2. But the PS3 was a ton better then the Wii overall. I loved the PS3.

Now I'm back. The Wii U and the 3DS are my favorite systems. I am a complete Nintendo fanboy now.

But for awhile...I left Nintendo largely. I don't have the nostalgia for the 64 that many Nintendo fans have. It was great finally getting to play some of the games on the Wii, but I don't think I missed much. I loved my time with the Playstation.

No comments:

Post a Comment