Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Top 10 Indie Games of The Year


I love end of year lists. I read them all the time. Most of the time I'm like " What's that show? I've never heard of that." or " Oh, another Playstation or Xbox game on this list." But still, those lists are fun to read.

They are also fun write and I plan on writing one today! This is my Top 10 Indie Games of the Year list. These are the Indie video games, on Wii U and 3DS, that I loved a lot. I think I'll start at 10 and work to #1.

10. Blok Drop X Twisted Fusion: Picking the best RCMADIAX games is tough. This developer constantly makes really simple, yet extremely addictive games for the Wii U eshop. With the help of @leuvsion, he made an even better take on Blok Drop. Very good graphics, fun gameplay, tough challenges. This is a must own on the Wii U if you love puzzle games.

9. Poker Dice Solitaire Future: Another RCMADIAX game. I almost said Shut the Box, but Poker Dice is slightly more addictive and will last you a bit longer than Shut the Box will. This game was highly underrated. I don't think it sold much. It should have. It might not have fancy graphics but its SUPER addictive!

8. Fairune: A retro-styled action rpg. It reminds me of the first Zelda but with better graphics and better puzzles. Fairune may seem very simple (and its very short) but what a great game. I had so much fun with this game. Much more than I thought I would. Plus: the game is super cheap. Highly recommend this game

7. Costume Quest 2: I loved the first Costume Quest on the PS3. I was pretty sure that I was going to like this one too and I was right. Costume Quest 2 was a great addition to the Wii U eshop. An rpg that had humor, good puzzles, and was centered around my favorite holiday (Halloween). Love it.

6. Paper Monsters Recut: Take parts LittleBigPlanet and Mario and what do you get? Paper Monsters Recut! PMR has excellent graphics and fun gameplay. Yes, it is a bit on the easy side but I actually love that too. Its nice to just have a really fun game to play and not worry too much about dying. Sure there are some hard parts in this game but overall, its just a fun relaxing game. A must buy for platformer fans!

5. Thomas Was Alone: Puzzle games aren't usually known for their stories. In fact, most puzzle games don't have a story. Thomas Was Alone is a puzzle game that has a huge focus on story, in fact, I would say that the story is even better than the puzzles. Don't get wrong, Thomas Was Alone has some cool puzzles and some tough ones too but its the story that will keep you coming back. The voice over work is just excellent. You'll want to know what happens to Thomas and co. next.

4. Moon Chronicles (Episode 1):  Moon Chronicles Episode 1 for 3DS didn't get much attention and thats a shame. Chronicles has good graphics, GREAT 3D, fun gameplay, and a mysterious storyline. And just when its getting very interesting...TO BE CONTINUED! Which you would think would be a minus but its not. It just makes you want the next one even more. And the next episodes are coming in January! FINALLY. I'm excited.

3. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse: Looking for some hair whipping fun? Look no further than Shantae and the Pirate's Curse. I reviewed this game on 3DS but this title is on Wii U now too. I bet its just as good on both systems. Shantae is such a fun game. Parts Castlevania, Metroid, and its own very unique style, Shantae is the best 3DS Indie game of the year. Although, can Wayforward be considered an Indie? I know they've worked on some big titles. Ah, well, I'm considering them an indie for this list! Buy this game!

2. Armillo: Forget Sonic. Who needs him. We have Armillo, the fastest and coolest platformer on the Wii U eshop. I love this game's graphics and its gameplay is a lot of fun. I was especially a big fan of the 2D bonus levels in this game but the 3D levels are awesome too. PLUS: this game is on sale RIGHT NOW. You should totally buy it if you haven't already. Armillo would have definitely been number one on my list if it wasn't for...

1. Stealth Inc. 2: Stealth Inc 2 is the best Indie game of the Wii U eshop. Its mix of platforming and puzzle is just brilliant. So many fun and often challenging levels, plus you can make your own levels or play other people's levels. Stealth is the game that keeps on giving. If you don't own this game, go buy it! This game gets my highest recommendation. SO GOOD. Man.

And thats my list of favorite Indie games of the year. There were other good games too (Xeodrifter, A World of Keflings) but these were the games that I truly loved in 2014.

Tomorrow I'll have a list of 10 Indie Games I can't wait to play in 2015! I bet you all can guess what my number 1 is right? Its pretty obvious if you read my blog often. heh. See you tomorrow! Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment