Sunday, December 21, 2014

Steamworld Dig (3DS) Review


I should have done this a long time ago. I've had Steamworld Dig, by @ImageForm, for awhile. But I've always resisted doing a review for it. Why? Because I love it so much. I didn't know if I could do an unbiased review.

I can't promise this is an unbiased review of Steamworld Dig. In fact, its probably a VERY biased review of the game. I'll just be up front about that...

And so...

STEAMWORLD DIG (3DS) REVIEW

Can you dig it?

ahem. Sorry.

Steamworld Dig, from developer Image Form, is on the Nintendo 3DS eshop right now. Its also on the Wii U but I haven't played that version. This review is all about the 3DS one.

Dig doesn't waste too much time with its story. It has a short cutscene at the beginning and Rusty quickly being thrown into the gameplay. And I'm totally fine with that. Not every game has to be heavy on story and this game more than makes up for lack of story with its gameplay.

You dig in Steamworld Dig. Hence the title. Its very addictive. You have to dig deeper and deeper to find jewels so that you can upgrade Rusty! You also find some upgrades hidden in the mine too. I really loved this game's gameplay. Its easy to just play Dig a little bit or spend hours digging for that next upgrade. There's also enemies to fight and not all of them are easy (like that last boss). This is a really fun game.

Dig makes good use of both 3DS screens. The top screen shows gameplay and the bottom shows your collection of jewels. The game does have 3D but its not a must for this title.

Other important things to note:

The game's music is really good. Its got an excellent western vibe.

So do the game's graphics! The game is set in a small western-like robot town. Its 2D graphics and very well designed.

Overall, Steamworld Dig is a fantastic game. It can be played in short or long bursts. The story is pretty simple, but the gameplay is amazing. This game is so addictive.

Like I said in the beginning, this is a biased review. I love this game. Its very hard for me to nitpick it. I'm sure if I was going through it and trying to, I could probably find something bad to say. Maybe. I don't know. I suppose some people might find the gameplay gets repetitive or something silly like that. Whatever.

I highly recommend Steamworld Dig! Buy it. Love it. Painfully wait for Steamworld Heist...

My Biased Review Score: 10/10

Super Biased Review Score: 1000/1000

Unbiased Review Score: 9.8/10

Believe whichever one you want to believe.

P.S.

Is Steamworld Heist out yet?!

No comments:

Post a Comment