Saturday, October 4, 2014

Falling Into Adventure


I've never been much of a PC gamer. I have always liked consoles more. That said, there is one time of game I liked a lot of PC: ADVENTURE games.

The Adventure genre is basically all about clicking, pointing, solving puzzles. Simple but definitely not always easy. In fact, Adventure games could be quiete hard. Kings Quest and Space Quest were the games I played. Great games. I never beat any of them, Still love this genre. I miss it too.

The Fall, a game for the Wii U eshop (its on PC too), is a return to the Adventure genre (mostly). You look around, interact with objects, solve puzzles, fight enemies...wait what...I'll get back to this. At its core, The Fall is an Adventure game. There is much to like about it.

First of all, The Fall's graphics are great! I love its graphics. Very darky, shadowy atmosphere. Graphics wise, The Fall is a modern game. Very well done.

The Fall's story is very mysterious. I like that. I like how we get tidbits of info from fully voiced characters. The voices are well done.

The game is very difficult; it frustrates. I have to look for help a lot. I like that and I don't but thats a very familiar trademark of the adventure genre. You get stuck and might need help. Thank goodness for the internet.

The Fall isn't perfect though. There is so frame rate issues while walking, the controls could be better (wish it was touch controls), and the combat...yeah, lets talk about that more.

The Fall's combat is very complicated. You aim with the right stick, while also having to press the bottom right trigger. This tricky to pull off. Also there's a cover mechanic where you have to push other buttons. The combat also is stiff and slow. Basically, the combat seems out of place in this game. It seems thrown in as if to say 'Ok, now lets do something exciting.' I wish it had been left out.

That all said, The Fall is a good game. Its also a welcome return to a genre I missed a lot. If you missed it too, then The Fall is for you. Don't expect a perfect experience, but whats there is a good start!
----------------------------------

The Fall was provided to me by @IndieGamerChick and @OverTheMoonGms on Twitter. Indie Gamer Chick is doing a great giveaway on Twitter called #GamesMatter. Its not a contest. When she (and soon developers) giveaway games, all you have to do is ask. Its a great way to promote Indie developers! You should check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment