Friday, October 10, 2014

Build It Yourself


I love level editors in games. I'm not too great at them, but I love them anyway. Its so much fun to try and create your own levels.

 I played Warioware D.I.Y. and liked it. Back when I had a PS3, I played both LittleBigPlanets and loved the level editor. I was in the Modnation Racers beta and that editor rocked too.

Now that I'm a Wii U/3DS only owner, I keep up someone will create an awesome game with a level editor. Two Tribes was the first to promise such a feature with Toki Tori 2 but failed to deliver it. I was very unhappy because the reason I bought the game was the editor.

Since then, Cubeman 2 came out and it had an editor. I haven't played the game but I hear its really good! Not sure when I'll get the chance to play it though.

Other upcoming games are promising level editors too. Here are some of them:

Stealth Inc 2 by @curvestudios. I've seen a glimpse of this games level editor and it looks very interesting. In the game, you have test chambers that you go to and solve puzzles in. My guess is that the level editor lets you create your own test chambers. Hoping we see more of the level editor soon.

Runbow by @13amgames: I don't know much about this games level editor, other than it was promised in a recent trailer that you could create your own levels. I'm definitely keeping my eyes open for more footage.

U Craft by @NexisGames: A massive world where you can rebuild the land & go on adventures with friends online. Compared to Minecraft, which I've never played. This is, so far, the most exciting of the level maker games to me. I have high hopes for this one!

Mario Maker by Nintendo: Mario Maker will, yes, let you make your own Mario levels! It was shown off at E3 and it looked great! Can't wait to see more.

There may be more games too. I really hope so. I love games that let you create your own levels and Wii U seems like the perfect console for it! Why? Here are my reasons:

1) The touchscreen on the gamepad would allow you to grab objects and place them where you want!

2) Off screen mode gives you way to create privately. Level creation is more fun for the person doing it than it is for on lookers. Plus you can take your time and not feel rushed.

3) Miiverse would allow you to post pictures of your levels and direct people as to where they can find it. More levels would get played!

Wii U is such a great place for Indies to create games. It would be an awesome place for players to build things too!

No comments:

Post a Comment