Thursday, October 16, 2014

Paper Monster Recut Impressions


Paper Monsters Recut, coming to the Wii U eshop today, is a really wonderful game so far. Let me tell you why!

The first thing you'll notice about Paper Monsters is the graphics. All of the characters and backgrounds look like they were made out of paper crafts. The graphics remind me of LittleBigPlanet a little bit (expect paper instead of sack). Though, the gameplay has its own unique charm for sure. The papercraft graphics makes it seem like someone just handcrafted all the levels. Sometimes I just want to stop and stare at them. But I don't do that too much because I'm having so much fun with the gameplay!

The gameplay is (mostly) platforming that reminds me of Mario and LittleBigPlanet a bit. Though, the game also shares something in common with games like Metroid. Paper Monsters, like Metroid, lets you can take your time and explore a bit (the levels have no time limit). You'll want to do this because there are many hidden areas in the game. That said, you do have to look out for the enemies roaming around the levels! The Paper Monsters you run into are very creative (and deadly). I especially like the Snot monsters. You heard me right, there's a snot monster! Its a funny creature without a doubt. Watch out for when it sneezes! You know, I would have been happy if the game was JUST platforming and Metroid-like exploring. Its a bit more than that though.

At one point, early on, you go through a pipe and end up piloting a sub! You push one of the bottom trigger buttons on the gamepad to shoot missiles at the underwater enemies. The sub is a lot of fun to play as and a nice change of pace from the platforming. Thats not even my favorite part of the game though. My favorite part is when you put on a spacesuit, strap on a jetpack, equip a blaster, and roam around in space themed levels! The outer space levels are so awesome. There's still platforming to do, but its so much fun to be able to shoot the enemies and zoom up into the sky thanks to the jetpack. Wait till you see these levels. Oh man. Though, I have to say, Paper Monster Recut's gameplay is an absolute joy no matter the level. I really love the game.

Paper Monsters Recut comes out later today. I couldn't stop smiling the entire time I was playing it the other day and I can't wait to play it more.

I will have a review of the game sooner or later, but if you love platformers, don't wait for my review. Buy it!

----------------------------------------

I won an early copy of Paper Monsters Recut from @MobotStudios yesterday. Many thanks to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment