Thursday, January 29, 2015

Codename S.T.E.A.M. Demo First Impressions


Today (January 29), Nintendo released a demo of Codename S.T.E.A.M. Codename is an upcoming 3DS strategy game from developer Intelligent Systems. The same people who did the Fire Emblem games.

I've played a little bit of the demo and now I want to give you my first impressions of the game. Is it any good?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Codename S.T.E.A.M. demo starts with a really fantastic cutscene. The cutscene is fully voice acted and has comic book panels & comic book sound effects. The graphics are very comic book/cel-shaded. The game looks great in 3D too.

After the cutscene, you are slowly introduced to the game's gameplay.

Right away, with the cutscene, I loved this demo. Then I tried the gameplay and I was hooked. You have to be very careful in this game. You only have so many times you can move your character. There's so much strategy to this game. That said, it has a very cool shooting element to it too. I love how the gameplay is third person, over the shoulder. Codename is basically a blending of a third person shooter with a turn-based strategy game. And its very very awesome.

That said, there is one thing that I think could be better. The enemy movement seems to be a bit slow at times. Sure its a turn-based game but your character can move pretty fast. Enemies should too.

Honestly, though, thats the only thing I can nitpick about the game so far. The gameplay is solid, the graphics are excellent, the voice acting is good; basically its a super addictive, fun game.

I really want this game now! I'll have to see if its possible to get the game in March. I hope so!

--------------------------------------------------

I'll back tomorrow with my thoughts on the Metroid Prime trilogy, which I just download onto my Wii U today. I can't say it'll be my first impressions because I have played the game before. I'll talk about how it feels to be playing the game again. See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment