Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Thoughts on Last Nights Nintendo Results Meeting


Last night, Nintendo had a Financial Results Meeting with their investors. There wasn't any really major news out of it, like there sometimes is, but there are a few interesting things to talk about.

First of all, its turns out America is crazy for amiibos. This doesn't really surprise me because I've seen how a lot of the people I follow on twitter go on and on and on and on and on and on about amiibos. I haven't caught the bug myself, thankfully. I did buy two amiibos, the Villager and Link, but thats it. I doubt I'll buy anymore. Why? It all comes down to money. If I had more, I would probably go crazy for them. Since I don't, I'm not.

Still, like I said, it doesn't surprise me that fans in the U.S. are going crazy about them. What does surprise me is that Amiibos are doing the best in America (and Canada too). In Japan, they are not selling that well. Which surprises me because Nintendo has always done better in Japan than it does in America. So why isn't Japan going crazy over amiibos? I have no idea. Also, amiibos are not doing too good in Europe or Australia. Its very strange that amiibos are doing the best North America/Canada.

Also out of the results meeting is a tidbit about Nintendo including NES and SNES trials in upcoming amiibo packaging. I think this is a very cool idea. Some people wondered why they didn't just include FULL games in the amiibo's packaging. Honestly that would be neat too but I think they'd have to raise the price of the amiibos if they did that. They would lose money on NES/SNES games if they only charged one price for both figure & game. Its not as if NES/SNES titles go for cheap on the Wii U or 3DS (nor should they be really cheap either imo). So I see why its only trials that Nintendo is including with the figures. I think its a great idea.

Nintendo also said they might be doing some limited edition amiibos too. I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not. I hear that some of the amiibos out there are already pretty hard to find. Limited Edition figures might be too hard to find and drive some people away from the hobby. Or cause riots. Mostly like it would cause riots.

Other important things to mention:

-The New 3DS is selling really well! Better than the 3DS did when it first came out.

-Majora's Mask is selling better than A Link Between Worlds (WHY?! I don't understand it. of course, I don't like the game so...) and Monster Hunter 4 is doing good too.

-Nintendo mentioned how well their games are scoring on metacritic. Some people love metacritic, while other people wish it would go away. Looks like Nintendo is in the former category.

-As I said earlier, there were no major revelations. Last year, we heard about DS games coming to Wii U (which has still never happened in the America). This year....er.....amiibos are going to get limited editions & free NES/SNES trials. Ok...I guess some people will be excited by this news. I think Nintendo is keeping a lot of secrets for E3 (and Directs) this year.

So maybe it wasn't the most exciting Nintendo Results meeting this year but, as always, these meetings are not for us. Hopefully the investors were happy this time.

As for myself, I can't wait till the next Nintendo Direct! I love the Directs.

No comments:

Post a Comment