Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Flipnote Studio 3D First Impressions


Yesterday, I finally got to download Flipnote Studio 3D (for 3DS) from Club Nintendo. This app lets you create simple animations in a flip book style. I thought the Flipnote on the Dsi was a neat app but I was never too good at creating anything on it. What do I think of the new app? Here are my impressions:

-------------------------------------------------

Flipnote Studio 3D is a good app for 3DS. Its not too hard to create something simple on the app. It provides a few tools for people play around with you but its not gigantic amount of tools. This is a free application, so its not going to be the most extensive creation tool ever but what is in the program is impressive.

You can create a flip animation with actual pictures that you take or drawings that you make. The actual picture quality isn’t great and you have to have really good lighting to take a picture. Even with good lighting, the pictures seem a bit unrealistic. Still that lends a fun quality to the animations that you create.

As far as drawing animations, I’m not very good at it but I was able to create a couple simple things. Its great that you can copy & paste things to other panels. That makes things a bit easier. You can also select an item in the drawing and move it around. The item select made it easy for me to create a simple animation where a boulder “rolled” down a cliff.

The app also includes a few colors (not a lot) to make the drawings look more interesting, and you include sounds to your animations too! The app does include a square, circle, and line for those who want to make very simple drawings.

I’m sure people with more talent at drawing could create something really fun with Flipnote 3D. Since I don’t have much talent, I think Flipnote is a neat app but I can’t see myself using it a ton.

Still, its a FREE app from Club Nintendo. I recommend everyone who can get it, gets it. It doesn't take up much room on your system and its fun (at least for a little while anyway).

---------------------------------------------------

I’ll back tomorrow with an Indie game preview.

No comments:

Post a Comment