Thursday, February 19, 2015

Thoughts on the Citizens of Earth Demos


I talked about Citizens of Earth, an rpg for Wii U and 3DS before. The game has been out for a little while but I haven't had the chance till now to try to it. A demo for the 3DS and Wii U was released today! I played both demos. Here are my impressions of the game on both systems:

------------------------------------------

The first Citizens of Earth demo I played was the 3DS version. The game looks good on the system and used the two screens well. The top screen has all the action, while the bottom screen is menus and your map when you're walking around.

The game has a lot of voice acting and its quirky/funny. The story seems like it might be interesting but the demo is pretty short overall, so you don't get too much of taste of the game.

The battles remind me of Earthbound, not really showing action too much. The bottom screen has all the attack menus and tells you what each of your team is doing.

There are a few things to do in the demo and you can recruit a couple of people. Like I said before, though, the demo doesn't last too long. And once its over...the demo kicks you out of it. So you can't replay it again before you leave. Also, this uses a turn and there's only FIVE times that you can play this demo. I think thats really lame. Most non-Nintendo demos give you at least 30 times to play a demo. Five times? Ugh. The Wii U demo is the same way though. You only have five times to play it. And once the demo is over, it doesn't kick you out but it leaves you on a static screen and gives you no choice but to quit the demo. sigh

Are there any differences between the two demos other then this?

When I played the Wii U demo, I did notice a couple of differences. First of all, the Wii U demo FROZE on me right at the title screen (before you go into the demo). I had no choice but to leave the demo and it used up a TURN!!  The second thing I noticed about the Wii U demo was more impressive. The graphics on Citizens of Earth Wii U is a lot better and the menus look fancier.

The attack menu & the menu that tells you whats happening in battles are on the same screen as the enemy. Thats because the Wii U gamepad mirrors the TV. I like that because it offers off-tv play but also think its a shame that the gamepad wasn't just used for menus only when watching the TV.

As for everything else, the voice acting, story, and gameplay seem the same between the two versions. The load times seem the same between the two versions too. Unfortunately. The game does have bit of load time when you go into or exit buildings sometimes.

Oh and I did notice the frame rate skip a bit in the Wii U version. I didn't see that in the 3DS demo.

Overall, while the Wii U demo had better graphics, I enjoyed my time with the 3DS demo more. The Wii U demo seemed to have issues, while the 3DS demo played perfectly fine. Neither demo were especially stunning though.

Citizens of Earth seems like a neat game but I'm not convinced that its worth $14. Maybe if its on sale sometime I'll get it. I'm not sure. Its a fun game but its no Earthbound....

No comments:

Post a Comment