Friday, February 20, 2015

Retro Thoughts: Super Mario Bros. 3


RETRO THOUGHTS: SUPER MARIO BROS. 3
retro thoughts: a look back at a much loved game of the past & what I think of the game now
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember the first time I heard about Super Mario Bros. 3. I went to the theater to see a movie called The Wizard staring Fred Savage. The movie was about a kid taking his brother to California so that his brother could play in a video game tournament. I loved video games. The movie looked good. So we went to see it. I had no idea that a brand new video game was going to be announced near the end of the movie...

When the brother got to the end of the tournament and it was announced that they'd be playing a brand new Nintendo game, I had no idea what to expect. Super Mario Bros. 3 was revealed. I went nuts. I couldn't believe it. The game looked so great. The Wizard was definitely the best advertising for a game EVER. I just had to have Super Mario Bros. 3.

And when it came out, I got it. The game turned out to be really great.

Now, years later, I still think about Super Mario Bros. 3. It introduced racoon Mario. It also gave us a World Map for the first time, introduced us to the Koopalings, the frog suit, a few others suits, and it had the best graphics  (and gameplay) of the three NES Mario games.

Last year, I think it was last year, Nintendo Minute (Nintendo's show on youtube) had a feature where the two hosts asked which game was better: Super Mario World or Super Mario Bros. 3? Honestly, I could not answer this question (still can't). Super Mario World is the one of the few Mario games I've actually beaten. Because its an easier game. Super Mario Bros. 3 is NOT an easy game. Sure its not as hard as the first game but its definitely harder than Mario World. Also Mario World has better graphics sure, but Mario 3 introduced a lot of concepts that World expanded on. And wait....World has Yoshi. Hmm.

Anyway, I'm getting off track. No matter what Mario game you like better, it can't be denied that Super Mario Bros. 3 was instrumental in introducing concepts that the future games would expand on A LOT. Its also a fun game. To this day! Super Mario Bros. 3 is a heck of a game.

If you've never played it (WHAT?!), you can download via the 3DS or Wii U eshop. Or the Wii even if you haven't upgraded to the modern Nintendo systems (what are you waiting for?!).

Super Mario Bros. 3 is a MUST PLAY. Not just for Mario fans, not just for Nintendo fans, its a must play for anybody that likes platformers...heck its a must play for anybody that likes FUN GAMES. Man. I think I want to go play it now!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like this feature? Please let me know. Maybe I'll do some more features about classic games that I loved/love.

No comments:

Post a Comment