Thursday, February 23, 2012

Nintendo's Epic Fail


Last blog entry I talked about 3DS VS. Vita and I mentioned how Nintendo had a big Nintendo Direct video coming up that would talk about 3DS stuff. I had high hopes for the video. I really thought they'd mention big games like Animal Crossing and Paper Mario, but instead, well, you see the title...

Nintendo played it safe on Wednesday. They showed Kid Icarus, which is coming in March, announced Mario Tennis for May, talked about downloadable titles, etc. Most of this info we already knew. Even Mario Tennis had already been rumored for May. So there were NO big suprises during the video. Why Nintendo even bothered putting this up against Vita I don't know. Maybe in their mind they were having a great video. This was big news to them or perhaps it was a concidence that the video went up on Vita day. I know thats a big concidence, but I'm not sure how else to explain what happened.

I'm sure Sony is NOT worried now. They might be over in their corner pointing and laughing now. " See what they did yesterday? Guess we were right! No worries there!"

I think they are wrong about that. Yes, I was upset with Nintendo yesterday and I'm still upset. I think I did say yesterday that Sony shouldn't worry (on Twitter). But like I pointed out yesterday, the 3DS sells are better in Japan and here. I hear Vita isn't selling too great here yet. So yes they should worry about the 3DS. The hardware anyway. I'm not so sure about the software. Nintendo just keeps dragging their feet there.

Then again, maybe my Nintendo bias is showing. Maybe Sony shouldn't worry. Maybe I should start worrying about the 3DS. The lack of great software reminds me of when the system came out back in March last year. They barely had anything coming out and now it looks like we're back to that. Sure, I guess Kid Icarus is a big game. Hopefully that'll sell.

 Honestly, though, Mario Tennis is the best announcement they had for the video? TENNIS?! Ugh. Its disgusting. They have so many great games (Animal Crossing 3DS) in the pipeline. They need to get them OUT. Most of these games they've been working on for two or three years now (especially Crossing). Its time to let the kids out of the playpen. Show Sony what you got!

Anyway, you can see I have conflicted feelings. I want to believe in Nintendo. I really do. Their epic failure yesterday is NOT helping.

No comments:

Post a Comment