Thursday, February 9, 2012

Comic Book Reviews #3


KID HOUDINI AND THE SILVER DOLLAR MISFITS
FREE COMIC BOOK DAY EDITION
WRITTEN BY  DWIGHT MACPHERSON
ILLUSTRATED BY WORTH GOWELL
COVER BY JACK LAWERENCE

I love FREE COMIC BOOK DAY in the U.S. Every single time there is one or more really cool comics that I've never heard of that I can't wait to check out.

Back in 2008, there was a free comic by a writer I had heard of: Dwight MacPherson. He had also written the really cool, fun all-ages book called The Surreal Adventures of Edgar Allan Poo (which I own and I promise I will do a review of sometime). This new title, Kid Houdini and the Silver Dollar Misfits, was another all ages book that looked like it would be really fun to read. So I checked out the issue.

Kid Houdini is about a young Harry Houdini who, by chance, meets a group of Circus kids who are locked up. Each of the kids are special: there's the Siamese twins, The Snake Girl, and the muscle kid. Before Harry can let these kids out, he's caught by Professor Murat, the man who's holding the circus kids. Six months later, Harry is being held in the same cell with them at the circus. Now Harry & his friends are Kid Houdini and the Silver Dollar Misfits, a group that solves crimes for a single silver dollar. I won't tell you about the case they take on in this issue. I don't want to spoil the whole issue for you. The case does end in a cliffhanger though. I haven't read the rest of this comic, but I would like to some day. I really enjoyed this a lot.

The story is all ages, meaning its perfect for both kids and adults. It doesn't talk down to the reader. The dialogue is well written and the kids sound like kids, with Houdini & the snake girl sounding a bit smarter than the others. The case they take on reminds me a bit of Scobby Doo, expect a lot better written. Kid Houdini would make an amazing animated series or a fun animated movie for sure (just as long as they let Mr. MacPherson write the episodes or the movie imo).

The artwork has a very animated look to it. It reminds me of Scobby Doo or the Real Ghostbusters in a way. This style would be very good on the screen. The cover, while not exactly the same style, is nice too.

There is a backup comic in this Free issue too, but I'm not reviewing that here. It was an OK comic, but not as cool as Kid Houdini.

If you have kids, I highly recommend this comic. If you don't have kids, I still recommend it. Its a fun, well written and well drawn comic.

Of course, the Surreal Adventures of Edgar Allan Poo is even better. I'll try to get to that review soon.

Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment