Tuesday, February 21, 2012

3DS VS. VITA


Sony says that the Playstation Vita is not in competition with Nintendo's 3DS and that they are aiming for a completly different market. Yet, the Vita has many of the same features that the 3DS has such as a Touch Screen (two actually), AR, a camera, etc. The Vita doesn't seem all that different from the 3DS really. The only thing different that the Vita has going for it is graphical power, which is very impressive I'll admit. Better than the 3DS? Sure. Gameplay wise there's nothing too impressive though imo. Vita is, without a doubt, in competition with the 3DS.

Nintendo knows that they are going up against the Vita too. Why else would they have a Nintendo Direct Video on the very day the Vita comes out? Thats NOT a concidence. Thats a carefully planned event that screams " We know Vita could be an issue. Here's what we have coming for the 3DS."

Sony needs to smarten up. Look at how the Vita is doing in Japan. The number of sales has improved for the Vita since launch, but the 3DS is still out selling it (especially after the price drop). You would think that Sony would have seen what happened with the 3DS at $250 and made sure their price was lower from the start, but nope, Sony doesn't think it'll be an issue. And who knows. Maybe it won't be an issue in America. We do love our gadgets here. I suppose if the Vita could hook in the Cellphone crowd with apps and cheap games to buy, maybe it'll sell better here than Japan. I don't know. I kind of doubt it'll catch on, but then again, maybe it will. The 3DS is doing good here in the U.S., but I don't think its doing as well here as in Japan. Of course, I'm mostly going by evidence in my small non-Nintendo friendly part of the country. I'm not sure what's happening elsewhere.

In any case, the 3DS and Vita will be going head to head. Some people with a lot of income (or people who just saved up a lot) will have both systems. I think MOST people will have to decide whether they want a 3DS or Vita.

To make it clear, finally, where I stand on the issue: I have a 3DS already and don't plan on buying a Vita.

That said, I don't want Vita to fail. I own a PS3. I like Sony. I hope that the Vita does well. Do I want it outsell the 3DS? Nope. I love my 3DS. I hope it beats the Vita in sells. I'm just saying I don't want Sony to fail. I'd like to think there's room in the market for BOTH handhelds. That said, they will be going head to head and one of them will win out eventually.

I think tomorrow might be a defining point in the battle between 3DS & Vita. What Nintendo reveals tomorrow at their conference will set the tone for the fight. If Nintendo comes out with some big game reveals for 3DS and shows they are going to have the content, then Sony should worry. Though its very possible that Nintendo might come out showing Kid Icarus, a couple of downloadable games, and not really announce anything new. If so, Sony might be laughing and pointing a finger at Nintendo saying "Guess we were right. Different audiences. No worries there."

I do like Sony, but I also want them to worry about the 3DS. I think competition will make both companys try harder with both systems. Here's hoping for some awesome news about the 3DS tomorrow that makes Sony realize that they are not the only handheld on the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment