Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Han Solo Shot First...or Did He?



I love the orignal Star Wars trilogy. Huge fan of the series. So when all three movies were going to be shown at the thearter, with new footage & new effects, I just HAD to go see all of them!

And I did.

And I loved it.

While a lot of people was complaining about how Han didn't shoot first or how fake looking Jabba looked, I was thinking about how amazing it was to see all three of those movies at thearter. All of the great character moments were still there in the movie, plus I really enjoyed the new footage. Han meeting Jabba in the first movie, the epic explosions, and just how much better all the effects looked. I think George Lucas did right by making the Special Editions. The movies needed a next-generation overhaul and to be shown at the thearter again so that a new generation could see them in all their glory.

Honestly, I don't care if Han shot first or not. I don't care if the Jabba in the first movie didn't look quite like the one in Return of the Jedi (he just gained more weight. lol).

I loved seeing all those movies on the big screen. I enjoyed the heck out of the Special Editions. It was great to visit a Galaxy far, far, away on the big screen.

I think Star Wars fans (and Trek fans too, hey, any sci-fi or fantasy fan) get too caught up in the details and just don't let themselves enjoy being taken to another universe. Thats why people had problems with the Special Editions, the prequels, even Avatar had this problem. Not many people are willing to just enjoy a good movie anymore. They have to get caught up in nostalgia, everything HAS to be like what it was when they were younger. Instead of enjoying a new take on an old favorite or getting a glimspe into what came before the old favorite, people have to nitpick and take apart the movies. No wonder George Lucas is saying he's not going to make any more big movies. People just won't let him do what he wants. They want the movies to be the way THEY want.

I don't think every movie has to be the 'greatest story ever written'. The prequels are not as great as the orignals (and I would argue that the special editions are better than the orignals), but they are FUN imo (expect for the last one) and Avatar might not be the most orignal story ever told, but it brings to the table an amazing world full of wonder and excitement. These are popcorn movies people. Not movies like Transformers, which are so badly made, but movies that really take you to another galaxy & try to pull you into their worlds.

Its not important who shot first, its important that you're having fun watching the movie. If not, there are plenty of movies out there I'm sure you'll love. Go find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment