Thursday, March 22, 2012

We All Have Dreams


When I was seven years old, I decided that I wanted to be a writer. I loved reading (still do) and I had a very active imagination (still do). I was always making up stories with my friends and acting them out. I wasn't a very good writer then, because I really didn't know anything about writing stories down. I had no sense, back then, what it really takes to BE a writer.

Now, many many years later, I know how hard it is to break in. I've submitted serveal short stories over the years and not a one has been published. I haven't written a novel yet (working on one now). As someone who has written a lot of short stories, I can tell you that its really HARD to get enough material to make a book. Am I whining? Ok, maybe a little. Writing is not as easy I thought it was when I was kid.

Am I going to give up? NEVER. I can never give up, because this is my DREAM. Its always been my dream. I've always wanted to be a writer and I can't help that. I love stories and I love creating them. I wish I was better at it. I'm always reading books about writing, following writers on twitter, and reading websites from writers too. I'll do that even after I finally get something published (you can always learn more). I really do believe I will get published. Not sure when, but it'll happen.

I hope to make a career out of it too; that'll be hard. Do I think I'll ever be Stephen King? Doubt that. But wouldn't that be GREAT?

I have to keep learning the craft and I need to focus more on my writing. I'm not great at setting a schedule for myself, but I'm getting better at it. Every night now, while I'm up late searching the internet, I'll write some too. Of course, one of these days I'll get myself to stop looking around online while I write. I'll have to work on that next!

Anyway, enough about me. If you have a dream, whatever it is, don't give up on it. We All Have Dreams and we all NEED dreams. And some of us really need to start making those dreams come true. Come on Dan, get back to writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment