Monday, June 1, 2015

OlliOlli (Wii U/3DS) Review

Image result for olliolli wii u

I've never really been a skateboarding fan. I played Tony Hawk back in the PS1 era, but didn't get into it much. When I won a copy of OlliOlli on twitter recently, I thought that was cool but wasn't expecting much. Did my opinion change? How is OlliOlli for the Wii U and 3DS?

Image result for olliolli wii u

When you buy OlliOlli for the 3DS or the Wii U, you get a copy for the version of the game you didn't buy. I love that Nintendo is bringing crossbuy to their systems. Unfortunately, you can't give someone else your 3DS or Wii U code because you just get a free discount on the other eshop for the game. Still, this is really nice of the developer and Nintendo. There is no crossplay between the two versions, though, and thats a shame. Its too bad you can't start playing the game on one system and carry your save over to the other game. Oh well.

Image result for olliolli wii u

OlliOlli plays great on the Wii U. The analog stick is very precise and works well for skating and tricks. The 3DS version is a little less precise but works well enough. On both systems, this game is hard. Unless you're a master at games like this, you'll be falling to the ground a lot. That said, OlliOlli is pretty fun. I enjoyed when I did the levels right and I had a good laugh when the character fell to the ground. The character animation when falling looks realistic and comical at the same time. The game is a bit skimpy on modes though. There are several levels play to in but it would have been cool if there had been a survival mode or some kind of two-player mode. There are online challenges to get a better score in and that is neat.

Image result for olliolli wii u

This game's graphics are pretty simple. OlliOlli is a very retro game, but I like that. And, as I said previously, the character animations look really good.

Image result for olliolli wii u

I didn't care for OlliOlli's music, but thats just a personal taste. Sound effect wise, the game is pretty good.

Image result for olliolli wii u

OlliOlli doesn't reinvent the skateboarding genre, but its a fun game. The skateboarding can be tricky, but there's fun to be had in falling too. I do wish the game had more modes. Still, if you like skateboarding or just games that don't take themselves too seriously, OlliOlli is worth checking out. Plus, you get two versions of the game for a great price. Can't beat that deal.

My Score: 7/10

Thanks to @rdelvillano on twitter for my copy of OlliOlli. 

All of the above pictures were taken from Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment