Monday, May 11, 2015

Splatoon Global Testfire Thoughts

Embedded image permalink

Previously, I talked about how I wasn't really into Splatoon, but was still looking forward to the demo. I was hoping that the demo would make me into a Splatoon believer.

Guess what?

I loved the demo.

The Splatoon Global Testfire was a very short experience. The demo was open, as shown above, for three times over the weekend. I played from 10-11 my time on the first day and from 2-3 on the second day. The first time available on Saturday was at 6 a.m. my time. I just didn't want to wake up that early. I probably should have. sigh.

My first experience with Splatoon was delightful. First of all, you were presented with a little bit of character customization. The actual game will let you equip your character with outfits and such but you couldn't do that in the demo. You could change skin tone and eye color. Pretty neat. After that, you were given a short offline tutorial to play in order to get use to the controls. Shooting worked great and turning into a squid was awesome. I loved the idea of shooting the ink on the walls and then traveling up the walls like that. I wasn't completely comfortable with the motion controls or the non-squid jumping but I'm sure I'll get use to them. Or I can just turn the motion controls off in the full game.

The best part of the demo, of course, was the Online multiplayer. It was a blast! There were four weapons you could choose from. The roller was the best of them in my opinion. I wasn't that good with the guns. I like the little mini-game you can play on the gamepad while you're waiting to get into matches. Very nice distraction. Once I got into the multiplayer, the goal was to cover as much ground or surfaces as possible with your team's ink. This was very easy to do with the roller but keeping that ground with your color was tricker. On the first day, people were still getting use to the controls and such, so there was competition, but it wasn't as harsh. On the second day, you could tell people had the hang of the controls and some of them were very fierce. Show no mercy!! That guy will be splatted. It was much tougher on the second day!

There were only two maps in the Testfire. Walleye and Salt Spray Rig. Walleye was a warehouse area and the rig was an oil rig/wharf type of environment. I definitely enjoyed the Rig more because it was more open but Walleye was cool too.

Another thing I should mention is that I didn't like the music in the demo. Well, ok, the main theme is kind of annoyingly catchy but overall, the music didn't appeal to me. Hopefully there's some way to turn the music off in the actual game (without getting rid of the sound effects, which were awesome).

Also, I'd like to note that this game does NOT need Voice Chat. A lot of people were going on about voice chat before the demo. There are still some people that are going on about it but not as many. Splatoon multiplayer works fine without voice chat. There's really no strategies to make up in Splatoon. You just have to cover as much area as possible. If you want to help a team mate, you can just zoom over to whenever they are via the gamepad (its so awesome) at any time. The only thing Voice Chat would add to Splatoon is Vile. People would miss use and abuse it. The actual gameplay works fine without it.

Overall, the Splatoon Testfire demo made me a Splatoon believer. And now I want this game!! I want it so much. sigh. I just know I won't be able to get it this month. I'm not even sure when I'll be able to get it. But the demo definitely changed my mind about this game. I went from "it looks ok" to "I love this game so much. I must own it."  This is the second time Nintendo has done this to me. Code Name STEAM sold me on that game too. Here's hoping Nintendo will keep doing demos. I'd love to see more online demos too!

So what did you all think of the Splatoon Testfire? Please let me know in the comments!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above picture was from the Nintendo of America twitter.



No comments:

Post a Comment