Saturday, May 2, 2015

Puzzle and Dragons: Super Mario Edition Demo Thoughts


First of all, I just wanted to say I'm sorry for not having this blog entry up yesterday or earlier today. Its been a busy couple of days. I blame Ultron.

And now my impressions of Puzzle and Dragons: Super Mario Edition (demo):
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought I was going to love the Puzzle and Dragons: Super Mario Edition demo. I thought I'd be here raving about how awesome the game is. All of the videos I've seen of the game looked great.

Then I played the demo.

The demo that Nintendo released on Thursday was not good. Basically, all of the rpg elements of Puzzle and Dragons were stripped out of the demo, just leaving the puzzle elements. In the demo, you can't pick who you want on your team, you can't recruit new people for your party, and the world map isn't available. Instead, you have to choice one of the team (already formed) teams, you have one helper choice, and a straight line of enemies to defeat. You get a look at the puzzle solving but the part of the game that makes Puzzle and Dragons unique, the rpg element, is nowhere to be seen.

Someone said to me that its just a demo, just part of the game, and its not supposed to be the whole game. Sure, its not supposed to be the whole game. BUT a demo should give you an accurate look at the game. The Puzzle and Dragons demo makes this game look like just a simple puzzle game. Actually, a simple mobile puzzle game. The demo is very bare bones.

When Nintendo did the Code Name STEAM demo, they let you play several battles and actually showed off the battle selection menu. It was an accurate look at the game. Usually when Nintendo does do a demo, its a pretty good demo.

But the Puzzle and Dragons demo is not good. It would not sell anyone on this game. If I hadn't seen any videos of this game and just played the demo, I would think that Nintendo was putting together a really lame mobile game.

As it is, my confidence in Puzzle and Dragons Mario edition and Z is shaken. Yes, I know the actual game has a lot more to it but honestly, if I can't try some of that out for myself, how do I know it'll be any good? I don't have enough money to waste on a game I'm not sure about.

And before you suggest I play the cellphone version of Puzzle and Dragons, let me make this clear: I'm not a mobile fan. I don't think much of mobile games. Plus: I don't own a cellphone. So the cellphone version is not an option for me. This was my one chance to try the title and Nintendo blew it.

So I'm not sure where I stand with Puzzle and Dragons. The demo totally disappointed me. The only good thing about the demo is that it doesn't have a play limit. But honestly, why would you want to replay it much? There just isn't that much to see with the demo. I'm not sure if I'll ever play the full game....

Has anybody else played the demo? What did you think of it? Please let me know in the comments.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll be back on Monday. Most likely with my impressions of Paper Mario 64 for the Wii U Virtual Console.


No comments:

Post a Comment