Monday, November 30, 2015

YIIK: A Post-Modern RPG Soundtrack Impressions


Image result for yiik a postmodern rpg
WARNING: The following its a preview of a soundtrack for YIIK: A Post-Modern RPG and contains titles for music from the game. These titles may or may not spoil or hint at elements of the game. If you don't want to know anything, not even a song title, don't read this preview
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The developer of the upcoming Wii U rpg YIIK: A Post-Modern RPG recently let me listen to a preview of the soundtrack for the game. Note: this was only a portion of the game's soundtrack. And there was one song on the soundtrack, Break Away: Michael's Theme, that did not work for me. I'm not sure if it was my computer or what. I did listen to the recent of the soundtrack, though, and here are my impressions of it.

The YIIK soundtrack, so far, is a mix of electronic, vocal, and orchestrated sounding material. There is one tune that came back into the other songs a lot, but otherwise, the music varied quite a bit. Personally, I prefered the slower songs in the soundtrack. I wasn't a big fan of the stranger music nor the vocal soundtracks. The slow songs were extremely well done though.

Here are my impressions of a few of the songs I liked:

The Overworld theme is definitely one of my favorites. It reminded me a bit of a Final Fantasy overworld theme, while also keeping its own unique identity. I think its going to be a lot of fun to listen to while traveling across the overworld.

Cat Chase is a really good lighthearted song that I'm very interested in seeing where its placed in the game.

The Theme of Sammy Pak is a very slow song that reminds me of something out of Earthbound. It also seems to have a sort of romantic vibe to it. Perhaps there's a bit of a Disney music quality to it too.

 Thinking of You Whenever You Are is just a nice guitar riff of a song. There isn't much to it, but there doesn't need to be. Its an excellent example of the wonderful slow music in this game so far.

Those are the highlights of the soundtrack for me, but none of the music in YIIK is terrible. I wasn't fond of the vocals in Puzzle Pieces, but otherwise, I have no major complaints with this soundtrack so far. You can tell that a lot of time and effort is being put into the soundtrack. If as much time and effort is being put into the actual game (and it appears that a lot of both is), then we should be in for a treat whenever YIIK comes to the Wii U.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you to the developer, Ackk Studios, for letting me check out the soundtrack. I can't wait to play the game!

The YIIK logo was taken from here on google.

I'll be back on Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment