Friday, October 23, 2015

Yo-Kai Watch Demo Impressions


Image result for yo-kai watch 3ds

I decided to download the Yo-Kai Watch demo from the 3DS eshop yesterday. I honestly didn't expect much from the game. I thought it would be a lot like Pokemon. And while it does have that 'Gotta catch 'em all" aspect to it...well....its quite a bit different. I'm thankful for that because I'm not a Pokemon fan. Yo-Kai Watch, on the other hand....

I LIKED A LOT!

Yep, I enjoyed this demo so much. Why?

Well, what first hit me when I started the game was how great the graphics are. Level 5 is the developer behind the title, so I should have known that would be the case. The graphics are really excellent. And if you turn the 3D on, man, those graphics are even better. Level 5 did a great job with the 3D. There is a lot depth to the demo, but there is also a lot of POP OUT, especially with the enemies, bugs, and fish in the game.

As for the gameplay, I found it very addictive. You have to look all over the place for Yo-Kai. This aspect of the game reminds me of an image search game. Sort of a Where's Waldo? Expect that the Yo-Kai are invisible. You go into a first person mode to search for the Yo-Kai (most of the time) and the way the graphics are done more realistically in this mode is pretty cool! I also liked how you can hunt for bugs (and fish!) and find other stuff too in this first person mode. There seems like there's a lot to do in Yo-Kai Watch.

Oh and I haven't even talked about the battle system. I wasn't sure if I liked the battle system at first. I grew to like it a lot though. Yo-Kai Watch has an auto-battle system BUT you have a wheel that you use via the touch screen to switch different party members into the battle and you can help out with the attacking by selecting Target, Purify, or the special Soul powers (there is also item listed but thats not available in the demo). The targeting option helps you direct the Yo-Kai to specific targets and the purify option is to get them out of being cursed. The soul powers are definitely the best part of the battle system.

The soul powers are VERY impressive visually. You always have to go through some sort of touch screen mini-game to power up these powers. The toughest of these mini-games is the tracing mini-game because the more complicated symbols are bit harder to trace. Overall, though, I really liked these touch screen mini-games.

The touch screen, in fact, is used really well in this demo. You can use it for the entire demo if you want, but I prefered using the analog stick to walk around!

There is a lot to see and do in this demo. There are a lot of Yo-Kai to find and fight in the demo, plus bugs, fish, and other items to find. The bugs, fish, and items don't do anything in the demo but I really enjoyed the mini-game you played to get the bugs and fish.

I could go on forever about this demo, but I won't! If you haven't tried out the demo, I highly recommend it. Its a lot of fun. I'm seriously considering buying this game sooner or later. I would have never thought I'd be interested in this game at all. Thats why I love demos. You just never know what you'll like sometimes until you get the chance to try it.

Have you tried the Yo-Kai Watch demo? What did you think of it? Let me know in the comments!

---------------------------------------------------------

Next week, I'll have a blog entry on Wednesday instead of Monday. I'm doing this because the Stella Glow demo comes out on Tuesday. I'll write up my impressions of that demo and have that for you on Wednesday. I'll try to do something Halloween themed for Friday next week! See you all then.

No comments:

Post a Comment