Friday, October 9, 2015

I didn't like Bravely Default (Massive Spoilers for the game)


If you haven't played Bravely Default or haven't got very far into it, don't read the rest of this article.

This article contains MASSIVE SPOILERS about Bravely Default....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With Legend of Legacy right around corner and another rpg recently out on the eshop (Chronus Arc), I started to think about recent rpgs I loved. There really are not as many I wish there were....

I wish I could say, for instance, that I loved Bravely Default. I don't love it. In fact, I grew very disappointed in this game.

MASSIVE SPOILERS (I've warned you three times now)










Later in Bravely Default, you have to defeat three or four dungeons and then you get sucked back in time....where you have to defeat those dungeons AGAIN. Now if this only had happened once, that would have been alright I suppose. But it happens again and again. I'm not sure how many times it happens, because I ended up giving up on the game. It was not fun to repeat this dungeons over and over and over. And they got HARDER each time.

In fact, it just felt like the developer was trying to pad the end of the game to make it longer. I think the game would have been perfect if it had been over once you beat those dungeons the first time. Would the game have been short? Maybe. SO WHAT. Nothing says that every rpg has to be at least 100 hours. Yes, I love those 100 hour or more rpgs, but there's something to be said for short rpgs too. Especially ones that are as beautiful and well designed as Bravely Default. And it is a good looking game with a great battle system. I like the job system too!

But repeating things over and over and over really ruined the game for me. I got bored. I stopped playing. I don't get why people like this game so much. I think Square Enix failed on this one. They've created so many great games, many of them for the DS and 3DS. What happened here? Why couldn't Bravely Default have been as great as Dragon Quest 9 or even as good as Kingdom Hearts for the 3DS? I just don't get it.

And Bravely Second is on the way and it'll likely come to the U.S.

You can count me out Square Enix. No way do I want to play a sequel.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you guys want to see from me next week? Indie game preview? Another rant? Please let me know in the comments or via @df2506 on twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment