Friday, July 24, 2015

I Wouldn't Want to Walk For A Year In That Neighborhood!

YearWalk_WiiU_Screenshot_01

Its very rare to see a horror game on the Wii U. There been a couple, most notably Lone Survivor: the Director's Cut. But its a genre that definitely has untapped potential on the Wii U. I have admit I'm not a huge horror game fan but its kind of cool to play these type of games once and awhile. Especially if they can freak me out and maybe give me a scare or two. I can do without the blood and guts horror games. A good creepy/freaky horror game once and while though? Yes please!

And so we get to the point: another creepy/freaky horror game is on its way to the Wii U. This game is called Year Walk. And man was I freaked out by the first trailer for this game. Its just so creepy! I'll include the trailer at the end of this post but first lets talk about the game a bit.

YearWalk_WiiU_Screenshot_09

According to the official website, Year Walk takes place in the "dark woods of 19th century Sweden". The game is putting the player on a "vision quest to foresee the future" and the Wii U gamepad will be your tool in this quest. See that screenshot up above? Most likely its taken from the folklore encyclopedia that is included on the pad! And you'll be able to use the gamepad to "decipher hints and take notes" too. I love the idea of having a folklore encyclopedia at my figure tips. Never Alone, a game set in Alaska and based around a different folklore, had some cool videos about its folklore but you had to pause the game to access them. I wished that you could watch the videos (or at least listen to them) as you journeyed in the game. Hopefully you'll be to access this encyclopedia in Year Walk without pausing. I also like that the pad will be a tool to "decipher hints" and for note taking. Very nice uses of the gamepad!

YearWalk_WiiU_Screenshot_03

But thats not all that the gamepad will be used for! You'll also be using the pad's motion controls to solve puzzles and the speaker on the gamepad will give audio clues in the game too! Wow. I'm just so excited by how Year Walk is using the Wii U gamepad. Not many games on the Wii U use the pad much. Its such a shame to because the Wii U offers an opportunity to create cool two screen experiences! Year Walk will definitely be a unique experience once it hits the Wii U this Fall!

Check out this first Wii U trailer for the game:


You can be sure I'll be keeping an eye on this game! If you want to keep an eye on it too, follow these twitter accounts: Simogo and Dakko Dakko

------------------------------------------------------------

All of the above pictures were taken from the official Year Walk website. The trailer is from there too!

No comments:

Post a Comment