Monday, April 13, 2015

Revisiting Super Mario 64



Image result for Super Mario 64

I mentioned before that I never owned a Nintendo 64. So I was not one of the people who bought the system and played the heck out of Super Mario 64. But I did get to play the game in a store and liked it a lot. I also got to play the game when I borrowed an Aunt's 64 one time. And then, finally, I got to play a ton of Super Mario 64 when it was released on the Wii. Thats when I truly found out what a great game Super Mario 64 was.

Image result for Super Mario 64

Of course, when the Wii U came out, there was no way to play Super Mario 64 unless you had it on the Wii mode and owned a Wii Classic Controller. I did have it on Wii mode but I didn't own a Classic controller. I had been playing the game on the Wii with a Gamecube controller. Cube controllers didn't work with the 64 games on Wii U. sigh.

So it wasn't until Nintendo released the game on the Wii U eshop that I was able to play the game again (and it only cost me $2 to download it on my Wii U!!!).

Image result for Super Mario 64

Gameplay wise, Super Mario 64 has held up VERY well. Its still as fun as it ever was. Its a joy running around in 64's castle and jumping into paintings. The level's environments are pretty big and fun to explore. I'm a bit out of practice, though, and not quite as good at this game as I use to be!

Image result for Super Mario 64

Graphics wise, the game doesn't look too bad on the big screen but on the gamepad, it doesn't look as good. The game's colors are a bit darker on the gamepad. I still think its awesome that you can play the game on the Gamepad though.

I also really love that this game has RESTORE POINTS now! It also saves exactly where you're at when you leave the game via the home button. On the Wii, 64 games didn't have restore points or that automatic saving. I think its fantastic that it was added for the Wii U.

Super Mario 64 is the beginning of the 3D Mario games. I think its one of the most popular of those games too. Most people love the 2D Mario games and the 3D games don't get as much love. I think Mario is great in 2D and 3D.

Image result for Super Mario 64

If you have a Wii U, I highly recommend downloading Super Mario 64. Whether you've played it a lot before or if you've never played it, its always fun to revisit or discover this game.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll be back on Friday with a look at the new 3DS Streetpass games most likely. See you then!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All of the pictures in the above article were taken from google. They are all copyright Nintendo.

No comments:

Post a Comment