Saturday, September 26, 2015

Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer First Impressions



Yesterday, I picked up Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer from Gamestop. I got the bundle with the NFC Reader/Writer. It came with one amiibo card, plus I got a pack of 6 cards in the mail.

Here are my first impressions of the game (after playing it a lot yesterday & some today):
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you all know, I'm a huge fan of the Animal Crossing series. So saying that I love Happy Home Designer should come as no surprise. Let me be clear about a few things though: this game is NOT Animal Crossing New Leaf. It won't replace that game for me. In Happy Home Designer, you design rooms for animals and schools and such, but there's no actual town nor is there anything else that you'd expect in an Animal Crossing game. All the animals are in this game, it has funny dialogue, but its not your regular Animal Crossing (there's no clock even). I'm still going to play New Leaf. I'd recommend anyone who wants the regular AC experiance do the same.

But as a spinoff, Happy Home Designer is fantastic. Its so very addictive. The more animals you design homes for, the more things you unlock like furniture, clothes, etc. The game doesn't punish you for not designing a room right. There are certain things you HAVE to put in animals house usually but other than that, you can design the rooms however you like. Some people don't like that; some people want this game to be skill based or have the animals judge you. NOT ME! Thats just not how Animal Crossing works. All of the Animal Crossing games give you freedom to design things the way you want. If Happy Home Designer had been judgemental, it just wouldn't be an Animal Crossing game.



That said, if you really NEED to be judged, there is an Online Network where you can upload your rooms that you design and other people can rate the rooms! Plus Nintendo will be doing contests starting next month. So if you have to have Skill based or judgemental game, well, its there for those who need it. I may upload some stuff, but personally, I'm just having a lot of fun designing stuff.


















I love how the amiibo cards let you invite animals to other animals houses. You can also put the characters in roles at stores or schools too. Its a lot of fun. It may not seem like much to some people, but I think the amiibo cards have the more use than the amiibo figures do so far. Its cool being able to make a certain animal the teacher and others the students. Plus those animals will actually stay in the school when you leave it and continue in those functions unless you change them.

The only nitpick I have with the amiibo cards (and Happy Home Designer at all) is that the NFC Reader/Writer is a bit touchy. You have to get your 3DS really close to it and even then, sometimes, it won't read the card or connect to the reader. Its not perfect, but I love the uses you can get out of the cards and will definitely use them more.



Embedded image permalink












In the end, I think the real fun of the game is just challenging yourself to come up with creative designs. And the game gives you a lot of tools to do it. Furniture, designs, play coin unlockables and more.

There's so much to do in Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer. You have more than 300 animals houses to create and you'll be able to go back later and change them if you want. And you design a school, hospital, and more. Plus there will be downloadable characters too!

If you're an Animal Crossing fan, you'll love this game. Especially if you're as addicted to the series as I am.

I don't think this game will convert any new fans. Though, I'm probably wrong. Maybe there were people who didn't like the real time aspect of the regular Animal Crossing games, but they'll love this game's 'play anytime you want' clock. Who knows!

Embedded image permalink












I just know that I really love this game. I can't wait to play more!


-----------------------------------------------------------------------

All of the above pictures were taken from my Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer game. Yes, I created ALL of these rooms. What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment