Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Why Nintendo is My Favorite Video Game Company


I spent years playing games with great visuals, cool gameplay, and lots of cutscenes. Many of them I loved. But after awhile, some of the games got old.

I'm thinking, especially, of games like Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto. When I started out playing those games, they were fun and unique. These games didn't change with the sequels though. And they stayed dark and very depressing. I'm sick and tired of first person shooters and open world mobster games now.

I still like games that tell a story, especially rpgs, but story isn't as important to me as it once was. As I get older, I realize there's one thing I really want out of a game: I want the game to be fun!

And thats why Nintendo is my favorite video game company now. They produce FUN GAMES. They don't worry about the story too much. They don't produce lots of cutscenes. Instead, they focus on making their games fun. I'm not going to say that they never make a bad game. Once and awhile they do. I won't say that some of their games don't get repetitive either (New Super Mario Bros series I'm looking at you). Nintendo produces many fun games that I really love though.

Another thing I love about Nintendo games is that they are so colorful. If you look at the games that Xbox One and PS4 are producing right now, most of them are darker, muted color games. Nintendo goes for bright and cheerful. I really do think thats the main reason Wii U games look better than Xbox One or PS4 games this generation. Nintendo is really showing off their graphics, while PS4 and Xbox One are mostly hiding their graphics in darker colors.

The 3DS, meanwhile, might not be as powerful as the Vita, but it produces more games and brighter games that are focused on the fun. Vita wants to give you a console experience on a handheld. The 3DS wants to give you a handheld experience. There are games, like Fantasy Life, that you can play for hours if you want too. But you can also just play for a little bit and then come back to it later. There are tons of 3DS games that give you the chance of playing a long time or just playing a little. Vita wants you to play a long time period. At least, thats my impression of the system. I could definitely be wrong. Vita just doesn't seem as handheld friendly. 3DS is pretty awesome though and gets better all the time.

Overall, I find Nintendo so much more fun these days. They make games that people of all ages can play. Meanwhile, the competition is making games (mostly) for Adults. Its very rare to find a good all ages game on PS4 or Xbox One. The only great All Ages game I can think of from Sony is LittleBigPlanet 3 and I can't think of one for the Xbox One. Nintendo is producing tons of games for everybody though. But also, they are starting to produce some games for older people too. Bayonetta 2 and the upcoming Devil's Third are focused toward Adults. Hyrule Warriors wants to grab Teens and up. So Nintendo is trying to offer older players something cool too.

Oh and if you don't want to play Nintendo games, you can find a bunch of awesome Indie games on the eshop. These games are aimed at everyone from Casual Gamers to Adult gamers. There is an excellent variety of games and more on the way all the time! The Wii U and 3DS eshops are really amazing places to visit right now.

I love Nintendo. The Wii U and 3DS rock!
-----------------

I'll be back tomorrow with another Indie preview blog entry!

No comments:

Post a Comment