Sunday, June 17, 2012

Thank You Mr. Bradbury

Ray Bradbury, writer of so many wonderful stories, died last week.

It came as a shock to me. I knew he was older now, but yet, he was still writing books. You still heard about him online too. I guess apart of me expected we'd have him around for years to come...

And now he's gone.

I didn't know Bradbury the person, but I loved the Martian Chronicles and loved the short stories of his I've read.

Most of all, he's had a major effect on my writing. I love how he thought of summer, childhood, and October, one of my favorite months (because of Halloween). I love the sense of wonder and excitement he brought to his stories. Nobody writes like Bradbury. His stories are descriptive, full of imagination and times long past.

I can see Ray Bradbury in some of the stories I've written so far too. In one recent story I wrote, there was a scene set in a park that when I went back to read I thought "Thats definitly influenced by Ray Bradbury." I owe him so much. For the wonderful stories I've read and will read of his. And for the sense of wonder and excitement I hope to put into my own stories.

Bradbury the person may be gone, but his books are still out there. If you've never read a Ray Bradbury story, please go out and read his books now. At least the Martian Chronicles or one of his brillant short stories. Everyone should experiance a Ray Bradbury story.

The world needs more wonder...

No comments:

Post a Comment